If you’re looking for a day of family fun then look no further than the St Andrew’s Day celebrations, taking place on Saturday 2nd December, from 10am to 3pm. Join us to celebrate more than 600 years of our vibrant history! Where better to celebrate our national saint’s day than in the town ‘At the Edge of the World’ where legend has it, St Andrew’s bones were brought.
Santa Clause will be joining us to help kick off this free event in style. He will be meeting with children and big kids too, from his Christmas grotto located on South Street, a must-see attraction for all, and a great photo opportunity too!
There will also be a fabulously festive Christmas market, complete a wide range of food trucks from all over Fife, where visitors can taste freshly prepared food and treats. There will also be a whole host of Christmas-themed activities, to be run by students from St Andrews University, to suit the whole family including:
- Circus skills workshop (Town Hall): PyroCeltica will host circus skills workshops where attendees will have the opportunity to learn/get involved in…. the workshop costs £5 per person and is open to all ages and abilities.
- Family Lantern making workshops (Town Hall): Families are invited to attend hosted workshops to create a lovely blue paper lantern with electric candles for the evening lantern procession. Early bird tickets at £5.00 rising to £6.50.
- St Andrew’s Day Festival: Join us in celebrating St Andrew’s Day on the lawn of Madras College for a Christmas market with live music, mulled wine, festive holiday craft stalls, a special appearance by Santa Claus, and (most importantly) food trucks from all over Fife. Make it a fun family day and join in the festivities!
The fair is FREE for everyone to attend, so please join us to celebrate both St Andrew and St Andrews with plenty of Christmas cheer!
- St Andrew’s Day Street Ceilidh (Westport, South Street):
After the festival, there will be the annual ceilidh hosted by comedian Susan Morrison on South Street and led by the Kilrymont Ceilidh Band. The street ceilidh is organised in conjunction with the Fellowship of St Andrews and will be a gathering filled with fun, dancing, good music and great company.
- The Story of St Andrews – Fire Show – with PyroCeltica (The Harbour): This firework show will be held in collaboration with PyroCeltica specifically designed to keep within the theme of the story of St Andrews and raise awareness of our national saint’s origins.
- Fireworks display – with 21CC (The Harbour): The grand finale to this action-packed day will end with a breath-taking firework display above the cathedral ruins.
So, whether you’re exploring the streets and ancient monuments of St Andrews, joining the lantern making workshops or taking part in the circus skills workshops, the annual St Andrew’s Day celebration promises to be the perfect start to the winter festivities.